A buck and some luck is all you need! Learn how to play New York LOTTO, one of many great lottery games available in the Empire State.
In a Nutshell…
New York LOTTO is a draw game only available in New York.
Cost: $1.00 (for two plays)
Jackpot: Rolling jackpots start at $2,000,000
Drawings: Wednesday and Saturday at 8:15 PM EST
Overall odds of winning a prize: 1 in 92.05 (per single panel)
Biggest Two Step jackpot in history: $2.9 million (April 2006)
How to Play NY LOTTO
Select 6 numbers from 1-59, then wait for your drawing! You can pick your own number or Quick Pick. NY LOTTO is similar to other jackpot games like Mega Millions and Powerball. The more numbers you match, the more you win.
What's the Bonus Number?
The Bonus Numbers is the 7th number drawn, and it's kind of like a freebie. Match 5 of 6 numbers plus the Bonus Number to win 2nd prize.
New York LOTTO Prizes
There are 5 ways to win a New York LOTTO prize. LOTTO has has a parimutuel prize structure, which means that the jackpot is determined by number of tickets sold. Prize amounts vary by drawing, but the average prizes for each level are as follows.
Jackpot - $2,000,000+
For each Lotto draw, 40% of sales is allocated as prize money. The Jackpot is 75% of this amount.
|1 in 45,057,474|
|5 + Bonus||
For each Lotto draw, 40% of sales is allocated as prize money. The Second Prize is 7.25% of this amount.
|1 in 7,509,579|
For each Lotto draw, 40% of sales is allocated as prize money. The Third Prize is 5.50% of this amount.
|1 in 144,414.98|
For each Lotto draw, 40% of sales is allocated as prize money. The Fourth Prize is 6.25% of this amount.
|1 in 2,179.85|
Fifth Prize - $1
|1 in 96.17|
- If you match 3 of the 6 numbers, you win the fixed amount of $1, which is the game's lowest prize.
- If you match 4 of the 6 numbers, you win 6.25% of the pot which averages out to around $25.
- The third place prize for matching 5 of the 6 numbers wins you 5.5% of the jackpot. Now I know what you are thinking, “why is this percentage smaller than the fourth place prize?” The answer is simple. Even though the percentage is smaller, there are less winners to split the pot with, bringing the average total amount won to around $2,000.
- As for the top prizes, matching 5 of the 6 numbers PLUS the bonus number will win you 7.25% of the pot, averaging around $100,000.
- Last but not least, a perfect 6 for 6 wins you the rolling jackpot which starts out at an impressive $2,000,000!
Are You A Winner?
Winning numbers are drawn on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8:15 PM EST. If you bought your LOTTO ticket in person, prizes up to $600 are redeemable from any NY lottery retailer. If your prize is $601 or more you can: schedule an appointment at a NY Lottery Customer Service Center, redeem directly at a local prize center, or mail to the lottery.
If you’re a Jackpocket player…
Jackpocket players get automatically notified by email when they win and you check if you’re a winner anytime in the app. No prize left behind!
For prizes up to $600 (the threshold amount in New York), Jackpocket credits your account for the full amount. If you win $601 or more, we arrange to have the ticket securely delivered to you so that you can claim your prize from the state lottery.
You’re all set to start playing New York LOTTO. Ready! Set! Go!